The Surgical Procedure
This involves replacing part or all of the joint surfaces of the knee.
Types of Implants
Implants are used to replace part of joint involved in the diseased process.
Uni Knee Implant
Scorpio Knee Replacement
Appearance on X-ray
Indications for Surgery
Pain which is present at rest and at night that does not respond to simple analgesia. Instability, stiffness of the knee as well as progressive deformity are also indications.
Benefits of Surgery
Improvement in pain, function as well as deformity.
Expected Surgical Outcome
- Commence exercises on day of surgery if possible.
- Mobilise 1st post-operative day
- Home at day 4/5.
- Stair climbing by home discharge.
- At least three months full recovery for total knee replacement and eight weeks for partial knee replacement.
- At least pre-operative range of motion, but painfree.
Complications of Surgery
- Deep vein thrombosis/ Pulmonary Embolism
- Numbness lateral aspect scar.
- Neurovascular injury
- Anterior knee pain and scar tenderness.