Are you awaiting knee replacement surgery? There are lots of things you can do to prepare yourself and your body beforehand. Preparing for the surgery actually starts weeks before your surgery date.
Here are 7 different ways you can prepare for your knee replacement surgery!
1. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions! How long will the surgery last? How long will you need to stay off work?
2. Exercise is the key! Those who are physically fit before the operation are more likely to recover in a faster time frame. Your doctor will recommend certain exercises.
3. Make some helpful improvements to your home. This could be a handrail in the shower, secure handrails on your stairs or a chair for your bath.
4. Make some improvements to your lifestyle. Eating healthy is good for the joints! Stop smoking too – nicotine impedes healing.
5. Make transportation arrangements. Knee replacement surgery patients are unable to drive for at least 6 weeks after surgery.
6. Ask for help! Your family and friends will need to help you out in your recovery period. Plan ahead and ask your loved ones for some help.
7. Follow ALL instructions. Your doctor will give you important instructions in the days before the surgery. Note it all down and make sure you follow it correctly.
There is nothing to worry about when it comes to knee replacement surgery. However, we understand that it’s natural to be nervous and overwhelmed. If you would like to speak to a professional about anything to do with joint replacement surgery, please don’t hesitate to contact us. You can give us a call on 07943 947 639 and we will be more than happy to help.